NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Minister for Multiculturalism Ray Williams announced last night (August 30) the winners of the 2017 Premier’s Multicultural Media Awards.
Ground-breaking stories on the devastating impact of domestic violence, a digital journey of an endangered Indigenous language, and personal stories of Italian migrants working on Australian farms were among the winning entries.
“I congratulate the winners for reporting on these important stories that often remain unheard in mainstream media,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“We acknowledge the tireless work of multicultural media professionals who are committed to keeping their communities informed and engaged.”
Mr Williams said the winners demonstrated outstanding reporting on multicultural affairs.
“One of the great strengths of our harmonious multicultural society is the variety and quality of our multicultural media outlets who serve their communities,” Mr Williams said.
Mr Endre Csapo received the Lifetime Achievement Award for 50 years of service to the Australian Hungarian community as a journalist and editor of several Hungarian publications.
Winners of the 2017 NSW Premier’s Multicultural Media Awards:
· Best Investigative Story: Xinyu Li – Australian New Express Daily
· Best Editorial/Commentary: Vijay Badhwar – Indian Down Under
· Photo of the Year: Noel Kessel – The Australian Jewish News
· Best News Report: Joshua Levi – The Australian Jewish News
· Best Radio/Audio Report: Soraya Caicedo, Esther Lozano, Claudianna Blanco – SBS Spanish
· Best TV/Audio-Visual Report: Omar Dabbagh – SBS
· Best Use of Digital Media: Boris Etingof, Gina McKeon, John-Paul Marin and Matt Smith – SBS
· Publication of the Year: The Australian Jewish News
· Best Short-Form Feature: Michele Grigoletti and Silvia Pianelli – Migrantes Foundation
· Young Journalist of the Year: Tia Singh
· Best Long-Form Feature: Trinh Nguyen and Olivia Nguyen – SBS Radio
· Public Interest Award: Ben Hills, Simon Vandore and Marshall Heald – SBS
· Student Award: Yenee Saw
· Lifetime Achievement Award: Endre Csapo
Source: Beau Mitchem, Hayley Ashburner