Will Jaymes Diaz make it?

Filed under 2010 Election

With votes from 46 of 47 Greenway polling places returned, Jaymes Diaz (Liberal) is trailing Michelle Rowland (Labor) by a only small margin – 570 votes – on a first preference candidate basis with a swing of 7.10 percent against Labor.

Diaz trailing by a small margin
Diaz trailing by a small margin
On a two candidate preference basis where second preference votes from 45 polling places had been allocated, Rowland’s lead was still marginal at 1,136 votes based on the latest tally by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) of yesterday’s Federal election.

Greenway has 93,828 enrolled voters. Turnout was 81.30 percent.

The two other Greenway candidates known in the Filipino Australian community Greenway are Allan Green (Christian Democratic) and Ronaldo Villaver (Australian Democrats). In Chifley, Philippine-born Venus Priest (Liberal) lost to Ed Husic (Labor).

“At this stage, it is very difficult to say what the final result would be,” Cr Jess Diaz said. “It is very close to call. There are still the postal votes to be returned.”

(The younger Diaz was not available for comment at the time The Filipino Australian called him for comments.)

According to the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) tally, the votes in the 47 polling places normally represent 85 percent of total votes cast with the remaining 15 percent representing postal, absent, provisional and pre-poll votes.

“Let us just hope that the Philippine community realise that this campaign is not about us, but about the Filipinos,” Cr Diaz said.

“A Filipino Australian being fielded by a major party should boost the self-esteem and self-respect of every Filipino not only those living in Australia but in other countries as well.”

Thank you

Meantime, Ronaldo Villaver emailed in to thank all those who supported him in his bid for the Greenway seat.

“It was my first time to be a candidate and I found the whole experience enjoyable especially listening to the concerns of the people,” Villaver wrote.

Related Posts (by topic or by writer):

Do you like to recommend us to your friends? Here are some who did.


2 Responses to Will Jaymes Diaz make it?

  1. Ed Y

    The difference between the two is a measly 1,000 or more votes. We in the family of three always voted Labor, but this time we voted Liberal because of Jaymes. Our young must be given a chance. One day I believe some Filipino will be in Canberra.

  2. Gaylie Balis

    Ed Y: I admire your support for fellow filipinos. I too voted liberal for the first time because of Jaymes.
    I hope my children will too one day see us represented in this country.

    The most disgusting thing i have seen in the last month was filipinos with such little self pride in their nationality.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>